Both the pros and cons
A local treatment center is the most popular choice for someone seeking substance abuse treatment. Choosing to stay close to home allows for the possibility of working or returning to work earlier, as well as access to their support network and familiarity with the local area. It is not always best to stay close to home when seeking treatment. We encourage potential clients to weigh the pros and disadvantages of staying close to home before choosing a rehabilitation location.
Benefits of Distance
Some people find it more convenient to travel further from their homes while receiving treatment. There are many benefits to living in a rehabilitation facility further away from home.
- Fewer distractions. Sometimes even things that aren’t harmful-like friends and family who support you-can distract you. People in treatment may find it easier to concentrate on their recovery when they don’t have to deal with the demands of daily life.
- The chance to start over. People might be grateful to have the opportunity to get treatment where they aren’t constantly reminded of past mistakes or relapses.
- You have the option to find a peaceful setting. There are many locations for treatment centers. Some people find it beneficial to escape the hustle and bustle of their everyday surroundings.
- Customized treatment options. Many centers can address alcoholism, dual diagnosis, or specific age groups and genders. Some may include a spiritual component to their treatment. This specialization could be the best way to succeed in sobriety. Safe Harbor Recovery Center, Portsmouth, Virginia, aims to customize treatment for each individual’s recovery needs.
- Avoidance of triggers, bad memories, and people who make poor choices can be helpful in the initial stages of recovery. Identifying toxic relationships and how to deal with them in the future may be more accessible.
- It may be easier to keep confidentiality private. You can avoid learning about your treatment from friends, family, neighbors, and coworkers.
- It’s more challenging to quit. Treatments are 1,000 miles away from home.
- Higher quality. Rural areas may have limited treatment options. They may not receive the best care if they stay home during rehab.
Distance has its disadvantages.
Distance is not the right choice for everyone, as every story is unique. Some people find the advantages of treatment away from home are not worth the cons.
- Disconnect from family and friends. This could lead to a client not being able to engage as profoundly in therapy services.
- Time away work. However, the Family and Medical Leave Acts (FMLA) do not prevent someone from losing their job to enter treatment. Some people find they cannot afford to lose their income while seeking help.
- A lack of familiarity. It may be too stressful for some people to let go of their anxiety.
- Unable to connect with local resources. A person treated for mental illness will not know where to find the resources they need to continue their recovery. The professionals in the rehab center may have a more challenging time setting up aftercare in a new area.
- You can’t go wrong. Some people find it easier to get treatment close to home. They can also manage their problems with the support of professionals.
- Higher costs. Insurance doesn’t always cover out-of-state treatment. Before making a decision, it is crucial to understand what insurance covers and doesn’t.
- Unstable programs. Before you decide to visit a treatment center, it is vital to do your research. It is dangerous to go to a center far away from your home and not verify its credibility. If the program is far away, it can be harder to leave.
Our staff at Holy Land Rehab in Israel can help determine your proper treatment. A trained counselor will help you choose the best option that suits your needs. Holy Land Rehab focuses on substance abuse’s physical signs and symptoms while assisting clients in developing the skills needed for continued sobriety. If you are in the USA, you can call us toll-free at 888-446-5952. If you are in Israel, call us at +972 (3) 3766247. You can also reach out to us via WhatsApp as well.