Drug abuse has become quite the topic over the past few years as psychological and physical pain has become evermore prevalent in today’s society. In this article, we would like to discuss some of the drug abuse facts and statistics that will help you better understand this epidemic. Here you will find some of the information you have been looking for. The information provided in this article has been taken from the Foundation for a Drug-Free World and the National Institute on Drug Abuse.
Astounding Drug Abuse Facts – The United States
- Did you know that every single day, nearly 2,500 young people between the ages of 12 and 18 abuse a prescription drug for the first time? In addition to this statistic, over 2 million adults will abuse a prescription drug for the first time every day.
- A scary statistic from the Foundation for a Drug-Free World states that prescription drugs account for 45% of all medicine abuse-related deaths. 39% is combined with street drugs: heroin, meth, and cocaine.
- According to the National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse at Columbia University, young people between the ages of 13 and 19 who abuse prescription drugs are two times more likely to become an alcoholic later in life than those who do not.
- Alcohol is the most widely used drug in the United States.
- Over 60% of all emergency room visits result from drug or alcohol use.
- A saddening statistic linked to drug abuse facts is that over 95% of all college campus violence is alcohol or drug-related.
Drug abuse is not something to laugh off or to set aside. The drug abuse facts and statistics linked to deaths and physical and psychological issues in the United States are overwhelming and cause us to ask, “Why is this becoming such an issue, and how can it be overcome?” The answer is simple, making treatment available and preventing drug abuse in our young people.
Yes, the drug abuse facts are astounding; and, yes, the effects are difficult to take in and accept. However, as loved ones of those experiencing drug addiction or alcohol addiction, you can help make treatment a viable and available option to those in need. Treatment facilities and programs, such as the ones offered at Holy Land Rehab, undermine and reduce the harmful market of drugs and alcohol. Treatment allows the individual to release the need for drug abuse and significantly reduces the drug abuse facts mentioned above. The best way around this particular epidemic is to provide well-designed programs for those suffering from addiction.
You and your loved ones are not alone regarding drug addiction or alcohol dependency. Many suffer from this, even though outward appearances may not show that. You can overcome these drug abuse facts and statistics by taking the necessary steps toward recovery. If you would like to find out more about Holy Land Rehab, then be sure to visit our website and contact our staff for more information regarding our programs and begin your journey towards a sober life. Don’t become one of these statistics! Beat the odds and beat the drug abuse facts by joining our trained staff and making a new life for you or your loved one.